Straws are single-use plastics that currently don't get recycled. They end up in landfill, or worse in our waterways and oceans with an assortment of other plastic items. They then break down into microplastics harming marine life and us.
WHAT'S SO WRONG WITH PLASTIC?
- Plastic straws are made from petroleum bi-products and its manufacturing pollutes the earth.
- Petroleum plastics are designed to last forever.
- They breakdown into small pieces called microplastics and enter the food chain.
- PLA plastics could take anywhere from 100 to 1000 years to decompose in landfill or the ocean.
- PLA plastics contaminate the recycling stream.
OCEAN FRIENDLY PRODUCTS
According to the Europe Consumer Trends report 2018 by Mintel, is the area that will guide the hand of the average buyer in the food and drinks industry.
...of consumers choose to buy from brands that use products ethically manufactured over brands that don't.
2/3rd OF PEOPLE...
...are willing to see charges similar to the 5p plastic bag levy applied to other single use plastics such as straws.
of all seabirds and mammals have ingested plastic.